How to Prepare for Natural Childbirth



 


Birth Matters… It matters because it is the way we all begin our lives outside of our source, our mother’s bodies. It’s the means from which we enter and feel our first impression of the wider world. For each mother, it is an event that shakes and shapes her to her innermost core. Women’s perceptions about their bodies and their babies’ capabilities will be deeply influenced by the care they receive around the time of birth. ” – Ina May Gaskin

If you are curious about natural childbirth or already know you want to give birth naturally then this post will help you prepare!
When I found out that I was pregnant, it was a big surprise. Where and how I was going to give birth were two extremely important decisions. As I started to explore my options, it became clear that I belonged at the WNC Birth Center because of the high care, low intervention. Do some research, visit your local birth center and educate yourself on the process of birth. Know why YOU want a natural birth because at some point, you’ll probably want to quit – you’d be in the minority if you didn’t.

What is a natural birth?

Natural birth can mean different things to different people. For this post, I am defining natural birth as an unmedicated, low intervention vaginal labor and delivery.
“Every year in the U.S., over 80% of women have an epidural during labor and over 30% of women give birth via cesarean”, according to the International Doula Institute. “Another option for delivery that some women choose is for a natural, or unmedicated, birth. Because most women have pain medication, new moms usually don’t remember that natural birth is an option. But, there are hidden benefits of a natural birth that you should be aware of when considering how you want your birthing experience to go.”

The moment a child is born,
the mother is also born.

Know the Benefits of Natural Childbirth

When making a decision about how I would give birth, it came down to these simple, yet profound and proven benefits. Educating yourself on the benefits of giving birth naturally is a wonderful way to feel empowered and committed to your decision. Here is what I discovered when I researched natural births:

Connection to your body and your baby.

This was my number one reason I decided to go natural. I wanted the safest, easiest delivery as possible. I knew that if I was medicated then I would be disconnected from my body- the last thing I wanted. I needed to feel what was happening. Maybe it was a strange way to keep some sort of control in what is a very uncontrollable event. However, keeping the ability to feel was a big benefit for me. Even if it meant feeling pain and discomfort. Being able to feel when I needed to change positions or push allowed me to birth with a sense of empowerment and connection to by baby.

Freedom to create your own environment.

Whether it be in a hospital, birthing center or at home, natural birth gives you the ability to move, eat, shower, receive a massage or whatever else you need to create an atmosphere that will assist in a labor and birth.
This benefit was key in helping me remain calm and confident during my birth. I labored in the water, shower, toilet and in the bed. Since I was able to freely change positions, River was able to wiggle his way out faster and more smoothly.

Minimal Interventions

Women who birth naturally can relax easier with no distractions or discomforts of monitoring equipment. Women who receive epidurals are hooked up to machines for routine IV’s, catheters and continuous fetal monitoring.

Faster Recovery Time

Without the intervention of pain medicine, natural birthing moms are able to recover more quickly because their bodies are able to release hormones like oxytocin which give them a burst of energy. This allows them to breastfeed more easily without feeling groggy and move around. Walking will aid in recovery and avoiding constipation.
I was amazed that I was able to move around right after birth and back to light exercising within two weeks!
“Imagine what might happen if women emerged from their labor beds with a renewed sense of the strength and power of their bodies, and of their capacity for ecstasy through giving birth” — Dr. Christine Northrup

Treat your body right. Everyday.

Your body is a home. It’s a temple. It’s sacred ground. Now, more than ever, you must treat it with care. Your babies life depends on it. Keep it clean and healthy with wholesome food. Nourish it with positive thoughts. Build your strength and keep your eyes on the horizon. Rest is vital. Body Love = Baby Love

Believe everything is connected. We are not apart from nature.

Develop a Strong Mindset

“There is a secret in our culture, and it’s not that birth is painful. It’s that women are strong.” ~ Laura Stavoe Harm
  1. Pay Attention. Mary Oliver once said that “attention is the beginning of devotion.” I taped this quote on my wall to remind me to be present throughout my journey and to be mindful of my thoughts.
  2. Be curious. Be open to exploring the changes that are happening to you. Remember you powerful, life giving being! I wanted to notice the slightest changes in my body and my mood, because that meant, learning more about the human inside of me. <3
  3. Stay on the Sunny Side. Be diligent about being positive. Whatever it is that helps you stay uplifted, make it a daily practice. Set a time to listen to affirmations, read uplifting stories, connect with other strong mamas or engage in any other activity that brings you peace and joy.
  4. Let your faith be boundless. Pregnancy is a highly spiritual time. Some of the best advice I received in regards to giving birth was that “we are just along for the ride”. It reminded me to let go and surrender to the supernatural process that I was chosen to be a part of. Things will happen that will be out of our control. And that’s OK. There is a greater force at work. Trust in the magic.

Explore alternative ways to handle pain management

“The power and intensity of your contractions cannot be stronger than you, because it is you.” ~ Unknown
Georgia Ragonetti-Zebell, MD, FACOG, an obstetrician-gynecologist who blogs at Momma Docs, says, “I see some patients that say, ‘I’m going to give it a try.’ If you really want an unmedicated birth, that ‘I’ll try‘ mindset rarely works out. While women have been doing it for centuries, they didn’t always have the option of an epidural right next door, so you need to do something to prepare if you want to avoid medication.”
I used water therapy by laboring in the shower and in the birthing pool, and also relied on my hypno-birthing skills. My midwife gave me Arnica oil and flower essences. Heating pads, massages, aromatherapy and playing music are other great ways to help you relax and take your mind off the pain.

Having a daily practice that I could stick to everyday allowed me to build endurance in a more sustainable way.

8 Simple and Practical Self Care Tips for a Natural Pregnancy

Developing a daily routine was key in my birthing experience. I saw pregnancy as a sacred time to prepare for the big event and I took it seriously. Nature gives us ample time to prepare our hearts, minds, bodies and souls for what is up ahead. Enjoy the journey. Day by day.
  1. Take a high quality prenatal vitamin everyday. I used these and Earth Fare’s brand.
  2. Build endurance. Exercise daily to get your heart rate up. Increase your stamina and visualize that you will have the energy to get through your birthing time! 
  3. Connect with herbal allies. Evening Primrose Oil is known to soften the cervix. Passionflower, Lavender and Chamomile will calm any nerves. Arnica oil can be used during and after labor for relief. 
  4. Train your brain to stay calm with daily affirmations and meditations. Practicing hypnobirthing worked for me! I also used the Rainbow Relaxation CD everyday.
  5. Stay motivated, inspired and focused with positive birth stories. Here’s a handy list of ideas.
  6. Make a birthing plan and a reminder/ to-do list for the big day. Download a contraction counter app on your phone!
  7. Take good care of your skin. I used Savannah Bee Company’shttps://amzn.to/35Mly9q Royal Jelly Body Butter everyday and truly felt like a glowing queen after soaking my skin in it. The Tupelo Honey is the bee’s knees.
  8. Visit with your baby- You and your baby are a team. Be sure to bond with him everyday. Read a book out loud. Do a guided meditation or simply tell her what you are doing throughout the day.

Birth partners are the ones who stay by your side and on your side.

A Word on Birth Partners

I was so fortunate to have Joshua with me. We probably would have had a Doula there if we had more financial resources, but I’m glad it was just the two of us. He was my anchor to the real world as I traversed to another realm to get my baby. I’m aware that not everyone gets to experience birth with the father or partner of their (1st) choice. If this is the case for you, then you have a decision to make.
Who do you want by your side? Who can you depend on? Who will hold space for you best? You can consider hiring a doula. You can enlist the support of your mother, sister or best friend. Whoever it may be, make sure they are people who will create a peaceful environment for you and your baby.

Sign up for a childbirth class.

Don’t sleep on birthing classes! We were required to take one and I’m so glad we did. If you are in the Asheville area, I highly recommend taking Birthing with Courage taught by Chama Woyda of Homegrown Babies.
By educating yourself on the birthing process, you will feel more calm and confident throughout your pregnancy and labor. We learned valuable things such as what “pre-labor” is, breathing techniques, when to call the midwife and the different stages of labor. It also prepared me and Josh to work as a team in that sort of setting.

A warm, cozy nest is alway best.

Prepare Your Nest

OK, listen up. I want to warn you about the overwhelm that comes with figuring out what baby gear you actually need. You probably already know there is a plethora of brands to choose from and handy new gadgets out there calling your name. They are all shiny and I know what it feels like to want the best for your little one. But you really only need the basics. So just remember that when setting out to create your registry. Have fun with it and poll your other mom friends for what products they used most. Be sure to consider your lifestyle and what is most practical.
Here are a few of my top favorite items that used everyday in the infant stage.
  1. Breast Pump (free through insurance!)
  2. Sound Machine
  3. Halo SleepSack Swaddle
  4. DockATot
  5. In-Sight Mirror for Car
  6. Muslim Swaddles
  7. Car Seat (go ahead and install it in your car!)
  8. Thule Jogging Stroller

Be prepared to catch the wave!
Change of clothes . . . check! Waterproof mascara . . . check! Breast pump . . . check!

Pack Your Bag

It’s a good idea to have a bag packed with all of the things you will want to have at your birth and afterwards. (don’t forget about your birth partner, too) Unless, of course, you are planning on a home birth.
You may consider a change of clothes, heating pad, candles, tooth brush, snacks (honey sticks are great), water bottle, nursing bra, breast pump, Tucks pads, your birthing playlist, your birth plan/intentions, camera, waterproof mascara, belly band, robe and slippers.

Further Reading

If you have arrived at this post wondering if Natural Childbirth is for you, then I encourage you to explore it as an option by meditating, reflecting, researching and reading. Here are some of my favorites:
Birthing from Within by Pam England
I hope this helps you prepare, mama! Just know that you have everything you need to birth your baby safely. You are so strong. You got this!
So much love and deep respect, Amber

Post a Comment

Instagram

Amber Adams Niven. Theme by STS.